Sunday, August 19, 2012

Who is that?

Many times I am asked how I know every single player at Spring Training...spoiler - I don't!  I do have a knack with names and pretty much know the 40 man rosters for all the Major League teams; however, I don't always recognize faces.  When graphing a Spring Training game fans realize players don't always have their names on their jerseys.  Also, if a player is walking towards you, you can't see their jersey number either.  What should a fan do?  Ignore the autograph opportunity?! 

First, when I can't identify a player I obviously can't pull their cards from my stack.  Second, I don't want to use a Rawlings Official Major League Baseball, because they are expensive.  I always carry mini ice cream baseball helmets of the teams playing.  They don't have the highest value but personally I love the way they look.  I use the metallic sharpies and they almost never smudge.  The helmets are fairly inexpensive and easy to carry with you.  Of course, the best part is not missing out on an autograph opportunity just because you haven't memorized the faces of thousands of players invited to Spring Training! 

No comments:

Post a Comment